Inline parentheticals

zazaian

Inline parentheticals

Post by zazaian »

Proper screenplay format permits the ability to use multiple inline parentheticals within the context of a block of dialogue. Currently parentheticals are only supported immediately beneath the character line. The format would look something like this:

JEFF
(beat, turns to his left)
The moths have been really bitey today.
(a moth bites him, beat)
See?

This formatting is supported by Final Draft and most major screenwriting platforms. I'd say it's a pretty essential convention, and would be found in most professional screenplays.

The displayed output of this message is truncating the leading whitespace, but if you look at the persisted text of the comment itself you'll see the correct formatting.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Inline parentheticals

Post by admin »

Zazaian, this has always been there in YouMeScript; Parentheticals are allowed after a Character or a Dialogue paragraph. At the start of the paragraph following either of those, hit open parenthesis, or tab / return to cycle through the choices, which includes Parenthetical in both cases.

Eg: in a Character paragraph type "DAVID", return, "(shouting", return, "Too loud!", return, "(sighing", "Never mind.", return etc etc.

If for some reason you're seeing something else, or there's some problem, please let me know.
zazaian

Post by zazaian »

Hey there - got it. I didn't notice this before, probably because it cycles in after the next action and scene heading dialogues. Now that I'm looking at it I see it working. thanks again.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No problem, glad to help out - I'll move this to 'Added' soon.