Scene Manipulation

Tell us about anything you think would make YouMeScript better.
GoldmanT

Scene Manipulation

Post by GoldmanT »

I've not used any other screenwriting software, so don't know if there is a comparable function in other software, but....

I would like a scene list, that would show the slugline, some descriptive notes that I could add to describe the scene, possibly the option to see which characters are in the scene, and maybe some other stuff.

And from this scene list, I can drag the scene headings around, which would rearrange the actual text in the script.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Scene Manipulation

Post by admin »

Yep, thanks, duly noted, "like", "+1" etc...

Yep, this should end up a feature of the outlining tools I'm spec'ing at the moment. Any other navigation ideas that occur to you will be gratefully received.
jones_fred70

Post by jones_fred70 »

maybe the option to number the scenes?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see scene-numbering more as part of a "production script" mode (coming, but not immediately), which would include page-locking, headers/footers, colored pages, breakdowns etc etc. Though if it could be useful on its own, I'll certainly look at it.
UserZero

Post by UserZero »

Please tie scene navigation to index cards. Ideally, index cards can be edited independently. For example, it would be nice to group scenes on an index card that represents the actual writing on the script, but also a tab where we can put notes, headings etc. that we can use during the outlining phase. This hasn't happened yet with other screenwriting packages.

It could work like this:

Have the scenes like they are in the script on "white" index card. Allow the user to have a box that we can name. Allow the user to flip the card where we can make notes used during outlining. Perhaps clicking on an icon flips the index card. On the "yellow" side keeps the notes and outlining stuff. You can also have a button where it shows both sides side by side.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

UserZero, your first paragraph is pretty close to where I'm definitely going with this, though you've come up with a really lovely and very simple visual motif with the white+yellow back and front. I can imagine flipping sections within the main pages panel too, to see what's going on literally behind-the-scenes...
JackAaron

Post by JackAaron »

Bump.

Was this feature ever implemented? Would be a huge asset!

I've just started using this software and I'm very excited about it. Thank you so much for creating it ;)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jack, apologies for the delay. In short: not yet. But there are good things coming. I wasn't able to do as much development this summer as I'd hoped, but things are moving along again now. The number of users has grown a lot recently and it's shown up a some rare bugs that took priority.

Any views or ideas?
Jack Aaron

Post by Jack Aaron »

Hi, no problem! I'm happy to see you have responded. Wasn't sure if this forum was still active...

First off, the app is great! I'm really enjoying using it so far. Thanks so much for putting in all this time and effort to make such a wonderful tool for people to use. I suppose it is a labor of love?

Well, yes, it would be fantastic if we could drag and drop scenes in the scene viewer. Then in the actual script text it would rearrange the scenes as such.

Another thing if you want to know is I imported a script (I forget which format, it may be have been Fountain) and a lot of the Action got bunched up with the Dialogue. I'm having to go through bit by bit and separate it out, and the keystroke to set a block of text to an Action is a bit tricky.

Anyway, not a criticism, just some feedback!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jack, it's weird, the more users I get (10k+ weekly users, now), the less feedback and the fewer forum posts there are. If you or anyone can tell me why that is, I'd love to know. Of course, my theory is that YMS now has no problems and no missing features, so there's simply nothing to say! Wouldn't that be a fine thing...

I'll take another look at the fountain import, see if there isn't something up with your bunching issue.