Android / iOS App?

Tell us about anything you think would make YouMeScript better.
thegussimpson

Android / iOS App?

Post by thegussimpson »

YouMeScript is everything I love/need, but one of the biggest perks with CeltX was being able to edit scripts on my computer, then go to the bathroom and continue writing on my phone. I have an Android, but I'm sure it would be a hit with iOS too.

If I could edit my scripts anywhere at anytime, I would be sold to the point of paying for premium. Hell, I'd pay much more to be able to do that.

EDIT: If you made the app for purchase I'd totally do that, as well as subscribe. Anything to help pay the bills.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Android / iOS App?

Post by admin »

Again, a big thank you for the vote of confidence. Here are a couple of answers, and a question for you...

The simple answer, for now, is "I'll improve YMS for small screens and keyboardless devices".

For the more complex answer, there are some fundamental issues with dedicated apps right now:
- The Google collaborative technology on which YMS depends is not currently directly supported in Android. This'll *likely* change as Chrome OS and Android converge (Google's confirmed this is happening, though not yet the exact route), but I'm choosing not to hold my breath.
- iOS is obviously in many ways a direct competitor of Google's, so the same is true in spades for iOS.
- There ARE definitely things I can do to make smaller-screen device behavior much better (sizing / formatting, virtual keyboards etc), and they are on their way.
- There could be a "last-worked-on" link, which would translate into a shortcut on your phone/tablet etc which opens the last thing you worked on. Would this help?

Finally, my question to you is, are there any transfer features in other software that make it particularly easy to switch between devices? Eg: I've considered the idea of just automatically opening the last-opened script (probably as a selectable option).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Actually, I need to emphasize THANK YOU. You have no idea how good it is to hear "YouMeScript is everything I love/need". There are loads of people using YMS, but I'm getting almost no feedback, and programming away in isolation just hoping that what I'm doing is worth it for someone other than me, is... hard. I know what I want in a screenplay program, but (even occasionally) hearing that someone else "gets it", is more valuable than you can know.
thegussimpson

Post by thegussimpson »

When I first saw YMS load and I saw the start of a screenplay, I was absolutely hooked. You asked what other programs made it easy to switch between devices, and it is honestly one of the things I love so much about YMS. Its similarity to Google Docs. With Google Docs, you sign in and all of your files are there for you to work on. YMS is the exact same way, and if I never left my home it would be everything I need.

One of the hallmark things I love about Google's cloud system is the ability for me to, essentially, take my entire life anywhere I go. I am absolutely thrilled about the Play Store coming to Chromebooks and I will be picking up an Asus Flip when the update is official. When that happens, YMS will become much more utilitarian for me.

You're completely right about the complications of an official app. I had a friend who was a game developer and I helped him with that, and it was a nightmare. I also used to do web design. That being said, I would personally like to extend a hand to you. What you have done is beyond my comprehension. You have truly made a work of art.

I wouldn't mind at all loading up Chrome on my phone and using a mobile website. I love what you are doing and will support you in any way I can.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think that's what it's going to be, for now, at least. As soon as I can, I'll look at how to package it better for small-screens, and virtual keyboards - it doesn't handle word-suggestions from virtual keyboards right now.

(One thing in support that's always welcome, of course, is simply to spread the word, whether that's a Chrome-store review or whatever, it's all greatly appreciated.)
trice001

Post by trice001 »

thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

FYI, YouMeScript now handles almost all input methods pretty well. That's voice, swype etc. There are a few combinations that don't work too well, and you may have to use a space between words... but it's a great deal better than it was.

I'll do a more comprehensive 'sticky' post about it soon.
trice001

Post by trice001 »

thanks
JourneyJay

Post by JourneyJay »

Google docs has an independent addons section in Google play. Are you saying that you can't program YouMeScript in the Google Scripts programming language?

Google docs for Android requires addons to use Google Scripts.
millan123ta

Post by millan123ta »

Now that you have finally decided it’s time to build a mobile app, there are some decisions that need to be made.

One of those decisions is choosing which operating system you’re going to launch on.

You have to decide between the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.