How do I prevent or fix auto-capitalizing?

Post any questions someone here may be able to help you with.
admin
Site Admin

How do I prevent or fix auto-capitalizing?

Post by admin »

A few ways to handle this...

- If you never want YMS to auto-capitalize, just go to the Options (gear) menu and deselect "Capitalize while typing".

- To get rid of one particular auto-capital, just type anything after the letter in question, then back-arrow to the capital, delete and re-type it; YMS only auto-capitalizes when your cursor is at the end of the paragraph.

- Select the word with the unwanted auto-capital, and hit Ctrl+Shift+U (Windows, Chrome, Linux) / Cmd+Shift+U (Mac), or right-click for the context menu and pick "Cycle uppercase". This cycles through UPPERCASE / lowercase / Original-case.

I use auto-capitals, so when I have to, my personal technique uses the second method above...
1) tap the letter twice, 2) tap left arrow, 3) tap backspace, 4) tap right-arrow.
Ely

Re: How do I prevent or fix auto-capitalizing?

Post by Ely »

When I type using my Google keyboard on my Android phone it doesn't auto space and words are in inverse type. Plus it capitalizes the first letter of each word as I type.

i.e. TextLooksLikeThis
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ely, there are a bunch of inconsistencies between the different swipe-type virtual keyboards which have made my life tricky. I generally test things on Swype, and have okay results, though it sometimes gets into a mode where it wants to capitalize, and you have to hit shift a couple of times. I'll look at this again, see if it can't be improved. Sorry for the grief: phone stuff has always been a slightly lower priority, though that may have to change...
Ely

Post by Ely »

I know variations over platforms (especially iOS versus Android) can make squashing bugs a nightmare.

I tried downloading other apps/ programs but yours was head and shoulders above the rest. Simple and functional with an intuitive interface... And the biggest appeal was that I could switch between desktop, phone or tablet whenever I felt inspired to write something. I know it might take time but I think working on this issue would prove itself worthwhile to many users. Anyways, regardless of whether or not it gets fixed I appreciate your contribution to all things creative. If you need any further feedback or info from me to help solve the issue I'm available. Thanking you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ely, it's very kind of you to say that, glad it works for you. I will definitely see what I can do - apart from anything else phones and tablets are clearly the future; it needs to work really well for everyone.