Character name formatting

Tell us about anything you think would make YouMeScript better.
cfox

Character name formatting

Post by cfox »

The character name formatting is not centered with the dialogue. Is there a reason that is happening, and is there a way to fix it?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Character name formatting

Post by admin »

Cfox, the format YMS follows can be found here (among other places) http://www.storysense.com/format/margins.htm

The ability to customize is coming at some point, hopefully soon, but if you're seeing something different from the above, let me know. Also interested where you heard about Character and Dialogue centered?? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean.

Incidentally YouMeScript's format is one of the 'industry standards' -- there isn't just one, no matter what the Final Draft crowd will tell you. When we were first building YMS we wanted to build a really beautiful page, tried a bunch of the existing standard formats, and this was the one that looked best and most readable, to us. You'll find you can't pack as much on a page as FD does, but FD's pages don't seem to match up with the one minute per page, so... swings and roundabouts. You can always export to FD if that's what floats your boat.

- Jake.
Rettit

Post by Rettit »

Hi Jake, I think the YMS looks great, and I can see your point for sure. Btw what kind of customization will be possible once it goes live?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rettit, many thanks. I haven't pinned this down, but right now I'm expecting something like this...

1. Several presets, including things like Final Draft, Warner Brothers, BBC feature + series, TV episodic(s) etc, but also customizable templates:

2. These apply to the whole script:
- Page-size (A4 etc)
- Lines per page
- Right-to-left layout for Hebrew, Arabic etc
- For each paragraph type...
-- Characters per line
-- Left margin
-- Bold, italic, underline, upper-case etc

3. For any particular paragraph, you'll be able to set
- Indent
- Characters per line
- Bold, italic, underline, upper-case etc
- Right-to-left layout

Anything I'm missing out?

- Jake

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:04 pm.