Googlepocalypse - WE'RE BACK

Bug topics are moved here once they are fixed and released.
admin
Site Admin

Googlepocalypse - WE'RE BACK

Post by admin »

UPDATE: OK, we're back up and running. Offline is offline for a little while longer, and collaboration does not work at all with Edge browsers. Other than those, please let me know about any bugs, issues, browser warnings or anything odd asap: support@youmescript.com.

- Jake

Folks,

On Tuesday 11th December, Google discontinued the collaboration service on which YouMeScript depends, and all scripts became read-only. I've written a p2p-based replacement over many stressful months, putting in 15 hour days for weeks in the lead-up to this.

But despite that it's not quite ready. There are still bugs that can corrupt your work, and I can't with a clear conscience release it today. I hope and believe this will take at most just a few days more.

To keep going you can export your existing scripts ("Export..." in the top menu), but you can't make new ones.

I know this is incredibly annoying, or worse, and for that I'm truly sorry. YouMeScript is a labor of love for me, so I can only apologize, and ask for your patience.

Of course, I'll extend all upgrades by however long this takes.

- Jake, creator of YouMeScript

TLDR; all scripts are read-only while I finish huge changes forced on me by Google. Export to a different program to keep going. I'm incredibly sorry. Please be kind. - Jake
EvilKris

Re: Googlepocalypse - what's going on?!?!

Post by EvilKris »

Bummer dude, it sure was a useful piece of kit...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Should be getting something released Friday or Saturday. Offline mode will be missing for a bit longer.

- Jake

Post by Guest »

alright man, that's great because I'd hate to switch editors, the way YouMeScript works is perfect. I guess the new one will not work through Google Drive?
I'm ashamed to say I didn't donate yet, but i was planning too-- just kinda broke (writer, lol) but I will, it's worth the subscription fee.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It still works through Google Drive, and as the user, you really won't see much or any difference.

What a YouMeScript 'file' in your drive has been up to this point is actually a shortcut to a process running on Google's servers somewhere that handles the collaboration, all the simultaneous edits coming from multiple users etc, and also handles storage. Docs, Sheets etc are the same. That's the withdrawn service, the "Realtime API".

However from now on, your scripts will be actual files in your drive. What has taken me so many months of work is creating the collaborative structure which can handle this. If you have a shared regular text file in your drive and both you and a friend try to edit and save it, drive sees the two sets of changes, and rather than having the 'last edit wins' or something, it creates "conflict" copies. Not good.

If anyone's actually nerdly interested in how I've solved all this, you can read up on "operational transformation" and "RAFT consensus"... The structure I've created, which as part of handling collaboration retains all changes ever made (yay, full revision history soon!) but in drive, not on my 'server', so I can maintain 'the world's best privacy policy' etc, could be applied to any type of file in Drive, or Dropbox or One-cloud etc.

- Jake
admin
Site Admin

Re: Googlepocalypse - WE'RE BACK

Post by admin »

Back up and running now. See the notice on the site for more.

- Jake
EvilKris

Re: Googlepocalypse - WE'RE BACK

Post by EvilKris »

Hallelujah! It is working just like before. Go grab yourself a beer man, you've earned it!

btw I have raved about this piece of software on many a forum and so fingers crossed it'll start making you some good $$$ soon, please don't lose faith in it. I find it effortless to write in, the Drive integration is so useful, and the bugs are minimal. If you keep making the product better and better, sharpening it up and removing the bugs, it will get noticed by a bigger commnuity and hopefully take care of that pesky rent for you. Merry Xmas!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:23 pm.