How to write with accents? (on a Mac)

Bug topics are moved here once they are fixed and released.
dfrasquet

How to write with accents? (on a Mac)

Post by dfrasquet »

Hi

First thing, congrats for your app; it's really great

Second thing, a doubt: there is someway to write with accents in languages that use these signs spelling? Spanish, by example

By the moment, I only can do it by replacing word by word. By example, instead of the word "página",
only can type "p´agina", while are writing the script.
The only solution I find is to right click over the word and "Replace", typing here correctly with accents in the 2nd box "Replace with"
So, in the box it's possible to use accents well, but not in the normal writing in the script

There are some solution, please?

Thanks
Regards
David
Last edited by dfrasquet on Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Re: How to write with accents?

Post by admin »

David, firstly many thanks for the kind words, it makes it all seem worthwhile.

What I've done so far with YMS is to make sure it can accept all accented characters using international keyboards, for instance Spanish, French etc...

I honestly didn't know that there is another way to input accents as you describe. Which OS allows this, as far as you know? I tried doing it in the 'replace' box on Windows and Chrome (both set up for US English) and it didn't do anything.

What other shortcuts would you expect (ie is there one for a cedilla)? If I knew what I was aiming for, I'd be happy to implement it.
dfrasquet

Post by dfrasquet »

Hi

Thanks a lot for your answer. Well, sorry, maybe I didn't explained well.. I was not refering to input accents in some different way, I'm trying to write with accents in the normal way :)
So, if I understand, you can write accents without problems and you're working on Windows, right?
I'm working in a Mac OS X El Capitan; maybe this is the problem.
I tested in a Windows PC and seems there are no problem with accents, so, seems an issue of my computer.
I don't know if it's about my specific computer and some configuration of language or in general an issue with Mac system.
I tested to change the keyboard language, but no results
I tested with 3 different browsers, and seems 2 of them has the same results and 1 has a bit of difference, but still can't write correctly the accents:
CHROME - accent before the letter
FIREFOX - accent before the letter
SAFARI - accent before the letter + correct accent over the letter
Please, have you any idea in how to fix that?
Thanks
Regards
David
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

David, this must be frustrating, sorry. The problem, at least partly, is that I'm not sure what the 'normal' way is on a Mac.

On Windows, using a US physical keyboard, I can select "United States - International" for the keyboard, and then typing ~ and ' before a and e produces the correct accents: á, è, etc... If it's different in general on Macs, then I'm not sure how.

If you have a link which explains it, or feel like describing it yourself in detail, that would be very helpful, but otherwise I'll see what I can find.
dfrasquet

Post by dfrasquet »

Hi

There are no difference in a Mac and a Windows in the way of typing the accents. Exactly as you descrive
I just tested in another Mac computer OS X El Capitan, this time on a Mac Pro, but the issue is the same.
Surely is caused by some configuration of the keyboard, but I tested all the options (I think).
If I find a solution, I'll let you know, of course
Thanks for your help

Regards
David
dfrasquet

Re: How to write with accents? (on a Mac)

Post by dfrasquet »

Hi again
I just realized that seems the issue really only happens in the body of the script. In the field "COMMENT" the accents can be type correctly:

It happens the same on this Mac and the other one that I commented in the previous post.

Hope this help
Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

David, it is a YouMeScript problem, there's definitely something about how it handles the accent inputs on Macs... I'm trying to track this one down.
dfrasquet

Post by dfrasquet »

Ok
Hope it will be something easy to fix :)
thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm moving this to "Bugs", hopefully should be fixed soon.
dfrasquet

Post by dfrasquet »

Cool, thanks