December 11, 2018

Bug topics are moved here once they are fixed and released.
FilmIsAwesome

December 11, 2018

Post by FilmIsAwesome »

After logging on today, I read your notice about Google shutting down a service that YouMeScript relies on. I tried typing out a message to let you know how much I love YouMeScript, though for whatever reason I couldn't add spaces or delete what I'd written. After refreshing the page, the notice wouldn't popup anymore.

So, while I really would love if you reworked YouMeScript to allow us to keep using it, your life comes first. All I can really ask is that you give us enough of a warning should you decide to let the site die so we don't lose any work we have.

Many thanks, friend. Despite being a writer, I can't really find the words to express how much I appreciate all of your hard work.
admin
Site Admin

Re: December 11, 2018

Post by admin »

FilmIsAwesome, let me tell you, the past 24 hours have been eye-opening. More to come, of course, but what I'll say right now is "Thank you", to all of you (and also no matter WHAT happens, I'll make sure people's work will be safe and accessible for as long as Google allows the ability to export it, which will continue long after 12/11/18).

But I'll say that right now at least, with the outpouring of appreciation I've received, the very idea of shutting it down would seem like a... travesty?
ghanrai

Post by ghanrai »

Agreed. You've dome something wonderful here, Jake. This program with the power of Google Drive is what many of us had been wishing for in terms of a 'fully fledged' scriptwriting software, but within the G-suite ecosystem of applications we also use. It is a dream come true. I also logged in today and read your message. My question are: What does that all mean though? Are you migrating the 'framework' and things will work out as before within the Google ecosystem? Is this the end of YouMeScript working with GoogleDrive? I hope you can clarify. Also (and I am aware might have to go in 'bug report'?) I am getting an error message 'Cannot read 'BA' property of undefined' if I try to export in FDX (every other export format is fine). Best of luck on your hard efforts with this.
Last edited by ghanrai on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ghanrai, thank you, I really appreciate that. I'll do a long technical blog post about all this at some point, but the short answer is "Yes, it is still based on Google Drive". All the hard work has been making that possible while still being fully collaborative, fast, etc etc. Once it's released, each script will have to be exported to a new file in your Drive, but that will be automatic when you open it again.

- Jake.
ghanrai

Post by ghanrai »

admin wrote:ghanrai, thank you, I really appreciate that. I'll do a long technical blog post about all this at some point, but the short answer is "Yes, it is still based on Google Drive". All the hard work has been making that possible while still being fully collaborative, fast, etc etc. Once it's released, each script will have to be exported to a new file in your Drive, but that will be automatic when you open it again.

- Jake.
Thank you, Jake. Keep up the great effort!