Googlepocalypse

Tell us about anything you think would make YouMeScript better.
filmiscool

Googlepocalypse

Post by filmiscool »

I'm not really sure where to post this 'cause I suck at navigating forums, but here you go friend-o:

It is totally cool that you have to shut down YouMeScript for a little bit. Luckily I just finished a final for one of my classes a few days ago where we literally had to write a screenplay (if I procrastinated rather than hopping on it early I'd be SCREWED right now) so I'm okay, but I want to let you know that you're seriously an amazing part of the community and this program (is that the right word? I'm not a tech kinda guy) is a huge reason why I've adopted screenwriting.

Keep kicking it, if you ever decide to stop for good I'll understand but I hope beyond hope that that day never comes. Enjoy your life, my friend!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Googlepocalypse

Post by admin »

filmiscool,
I am RIDICULOUSLY pleased to hear that. YMS barely covers its costs, so honestly it's only about building something cool, and when I hear appreciation like that, it makes all this work (almost) worth it. What "community" though? Community? I'm part of a community? All I get is support emails from people who don't understand the interwebnets.

A good thing is that once it's back up and running (I'm super close now) it'll never be vulnerable to the whims of Google or anyone else again, and even if I chose to back away for a while it would just chug away.

There are many potential upsides to all this, and one of them is that files could now be stored anywhere, not just Drive, but say Dropbox or One-Cloud or even locally, and still be fully collaborative. Not worrying about that now, just sayin' I don't ever want to be held to ransom again.

- Jake.
Jaren

Post by Jaren »

Hi Jake,
I'm very new to writing in this format, and you and this platform have been a godsend. I'd be happy to send you some money in anyway I could, as I'm sure several others would as well. Have you thought of starting a gofundme, or Patreon? I think you'd likely be surprised at how many people would gladly help you out financially. Please let me know if you set something like that up because I'd love to contribute as well as spread the word any way I can!
Cheers,
Jaren.
filmiscool

Post by filmiscool »

Yeah Jake, as Jaren said this platform is a godsend. Every time I have someone ask me for help on screenwriting I point them in the direction of YouMeScript, which I found from one of my screenwriting professors as a free outlet for the medium.

As such, you are a huge part of the film community as a whole. Thank you for your time, it's greatly appreciated, I promise that I will never stop advertising your work.
kingsteveape

Post by kingsteveape »

Hi Jake
YMS is the best thing out there. Its made my ability to write 1000 times easier. And you know what people are like doing feedback forms or giving thanks...
But anyway, thank you!
Keep coding and then stick 2 fingers up to google.

I understand APIs - how was it working before and how will it work in the future? Basically what does your new app do and - you'll still be using some kind of google api right?
ghanrai

Post by ghanrai »

Agreed with all of the above. I pointed YMS to both of my screenwriter friends and both are using it. It's funny when I want back to Writer Duet and Celtx after using this and you could see how terribly clunky, annoyingly cluttered, and frustratingly slow they can be.

I also think (just as a friendly suggestion) it's worth noting that once you get your 'wind back' to maybe sit down and formulate a roadmap for where you see this product can potentially go long-term (maybe you do). You have the right ingredients for success here, and if you decide that you need more money to be able to offer more of the services the 'competitors' offer (or to hire coders, marketers,...etc), then please consider what Jaren had mentioned above about doing a crowd-sourcing campaign. From my own experience a 'labour of love' is always the best way to start something, but even the most passionate need support at some point to keep going.

Best of luck and we await your next update.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow, but some positive feedback goes a long way :)

- Yes, still Drive-based, and therefore using the drive REST api (but in very cool ways that would be patentable if I believed in software patents, which I Do Not). When I've time to breath I'll do a long technical blog-post somewhere about it, and maybe a less technical one about the whole process.

- Totally agree about the money / marketing / crowd-sourcing / what-have-you... It's just not something I enjoy, necessary though I realize it is. The road-map is a fine plan too.

As for getting back up and running, I'm hoping for Friday/Saturday. Offline will be disabled for a bit longer. Not sure if it's going to work in Edge, at least for now. Apologies to the very small percentage of you lot that use it, but... oh, Microsoft browser-people, will you never learn?

Keep this stuff and any discussions you want coming. It's useful, nourishes my soul, and encourages me no end. Thank you folks, really.

- Jake.
jackkyser

Post by jackkyser »

Hi Jake,

I want to echo the comments above - YMS has been such a great tool for me. My writing partner and I have been able to work on our screenplay together the last several months from across the country thanks to the collaborative options here, and I can't wait to continue using the program.

I did have a quick question for you - do you happen to know if, once everything is back up and running, there is any chance of lost data in our drafts? I've gone ahead and saved a PDF of all of my drafts while they're read-only, but I wanted to ask if there's any reason to worry about losing actual material or anything becoming corrupted (or, for that matter, any potential format-changing in the scripts once the new version is running). Forgive me if this sounds like a completely irrational question - sometimes I just get worried about these things.

Thank you so much for all of the great work you're doing.

Jack
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jack, I understand the concern, but no, there's no reason for data to go missing. Scripts have to be converted to the new file format, but the originals will sit there until you delete them. The new script will be 100% indistinguishable from the original.

- Jake

Post by Guest »

Thanks Jake, I will use this break as an opportunity for some outlining / creative brainstorming until the site is back online. Like when they shut down production on Predator because of the rubbish JCVD alien, this may be a blessing in disguise! Thanks for all your hard work on the site, Merry Christmas!