Page is unresponsive

Bug topics are moved here once they are fixed and released.
anon

Page is unresponsive

Post by anon »

I get the "Loading" on the bottom right corner, and refreshing doesn't work for a few minutes.

Then, it appears to work before http://imgur.com/Oh9P0De happens.

When I refresh, it gets stuck on loading, and I can't write.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Page is unresponsive

Post by admin »

Very sorry for the troubles... does this happen for all scripts or just that one? What is your browser and platform?

If it's a problem with the particular script being corrupted in some way, the only way I could debug it is if it was shared with me - I realize you almost certainly wouldn't want to do that.

I'm working on a routine that can see if the load has failed for ANY reason, and rescue the file, however it won't be ready for a day or two - I've shifted it to the top of the list.

As I say, many apologies for this, but we will get you up and running again somehow.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Also, as a potential rescue, can you copy and paste or export to FDX or plain text? If so, then start a new script and import or paste.
anon

Post by anon »

It's just that one script, and exporting to .yms and importing doesn't work.
Final Cut importing doesn't work either, and .txt just stops at "Creating 546 elements..."
And although this may be inconvenient, I would like to stay anonymous.
Thank you very much for the fast response.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No problem, you not being able to work on your script is my worst nightmare. Until I have the rescue option, it may just be worth trying a different browser - not likely to help, but it's possible - unless you're on a Chromebook of course.

Keep monitoring this thread, as I'll announce the rescue option here first.
anon

Post by anon »

So here is an update...
  • my friend and I both get no response from the same page
    we refresh a couple of times
    sometimes, it lets me type, but when i press enter, I get an error
    i kept the page open and got back to it hours later, and the same error happened
    instead of typing, i deleted the line i was on, and then pressed enter, and it didn't get me an error
    however, the spacebar now doesn't work on the site, neither do punctuation marks
    TAB, ENTER, and shift-letter works
my friend doesn't have the time to test with me, but this was my experience
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Anon, this doesn't affect the solution, which (whether this is true or not) will be the full recreation in a new file of the script (the contents of which are apparently okay) but here is what may be going on, for interest's sake if nothing else: the model has probably gone past the 10meg limit for the collaboration engine.

This can happen with lots of large changes, cutting and pasting of large sections etc, I've only seen it before when frequently cutting and pasting 180 pages of script repeatedly - because of the way the collaboration engine works, nothing is actually ever truly deleted, just a series of changes are stored. If I'm right, this would be verified by looking at File Details in the topmost menu; the size would be close to or over 10,000k.

But as I say, whether this is correct or not, the model has become unusable for whatever reason, and so there must be the option to recreate/fix/condense the file automatically... coming very soon.
anon

Post by anon »

My script isn't even 50 pages, though. http://imgur.com/QG9Vqem
Is there a guideline on how to use YouMeScript or something?
Also, will my script be saved when you get the new model?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Anon, no there isn't a guide yet, but I'm hoping there won't be a need for one, or that one might evolve - there's no implication in what I said, that you've done anything "wrong", you absolutely haven't. I just wanted to point out that for fairly inscrutable reasons, the size of the file is not very dependent on the size of the script... it's more what's happened to the script in the past. Looking at your image, it's clear that isn't the problem for you.

But yes, the rescue will absolutely preserve your work. I have the first of two different methods working now, though I'm still testing it, and will release it as soon as I'm comfortable with it. The second method will take a couple of days longer. Hopefully #1 does the trick for you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Anon, the latest version 0.3.4 build 337 has two alternative file recoveries (though the last, more basic and deeper recovery option I'm still working on). Hopefully one of either the "Copy" or "Recover" options fixes your issue.

You'll be offered these options when the error happens ("Save As..." is also available now from the main menu).

Let me know, and once again, sorry about the grief.