Outline/Spine

Tell us about anything you think would make YouMeScript better.
jones_fred70

Outline/Spine

Post by jones_fred70 »

I currently have a separate Google Doc that my friend and I outline on.
Perhaps this is a territory that interests some people.
Again, since it's so easy to open a Google Doc, it wouldn't be high on the priority (I'm guessing).

BUT, perhaps in the future, there could be some templates of outlines for the Hero's Journey or the Spine we could choose and fill out.
Then, when you write a script, it has notes on pages where one outline element corresponds to, for example on Page 30 there might be a note saying, "Finish Act 1 by here" or something.
I speculate there may be too many variations of techniques like the Hero's Journey, so an option to customize would be great here.
Like, I'll set it so I shan't take more than 40 pages to explain my world, so on page 40, there's a note saying "NO MORE WORLD EXPLANATION." The 40 page limit and the comment would be customizable.
Then we have loads of possibilities, with people making their own personal outline templates perfect for them, and if we get the ability to upload, download, and share those templates via this forum or directly from YMS, we could really create a sense of a community (though this isn't a goal, the goal is to make a good screenwriting program).

None of these things are groundbreaking, since one can easily look up "plot outline template examples" and open their own Google Doc to work on with their friends.
Personally, I'd rather an offline application come out before this option.
But it'd be neat, and it was fun writing this up.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Outline/Spine

Post by admin »

Amazingly... today we had a long rambling but I think ultimately productive discussion about outlining, and having user-shareable story templates / outlines / beat-sheets came up.

I'm right now wondering whether we at this end should be having this sort of discussion in public, telling people like you more about where we're aiming, and getting input. The downside might be a 'wanted' list from here to Mars, the upside might be that I'd have people to blame when it turned out useless in the real world... :) Worth pondering.
jones_fred70

Post by jones_fred70 »

by discuss in public, do you mean posting chat-logs for us too see, or posting a summary of points made in said discussion?
if you guys joke around and go on tangents (like we all do), then those aren't things I'm too interested in reading up on.
if you meant to post the ideas that you guys came up with, then definitely I'm interested.
as for making a scary to-do list, as long you guys can address our requests or at the very least complaints (which you have been great at), then it's not something the consumers think too much of.
It's not like we'll say, "Look at all these features you promised that we're not getting!" anytime soon.

also, critics might perceive these discussions as filler in between feature additions, saying you shouldn't be talking, you should be making.
there's some truth to this, but the talking has to happen at one point, right?
what I'm trying to say is, don't give those critics any leverage; always show that you're working on something.

I don't like how I sound like I'm trying to talk from a position of authority, but you get my point!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

All points heard. And that's always my tendency: quit yapping folks, and let me code. You'll like it, I promise. Kinda.
Kurzen the Writer

Post by Kurzen the Writer »

Yeah. I would really like a customizable template... I am a newb to script writing.

Kurzuppa/Kurzen

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:02 pm.