Numbering scenes

MisterMcAtCCA

Numbering scenes

Post by MisterMcAtCCA »

It would be nice if there was an option to number the scene headings. I have found that in the classroom and when we are shooting movies we all tend to default to referring to "Scene number 3 of 5 or whatever." Other programs I've used have the option to add the numbers in the printed output and at least one I tried actually added them on screen. Perhaps this might not be useful to other users but it does help in the classroom.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Numbering scenes

Post by admin »

No, this is definitely applicable to a pretty wide variety of situations.However...

The only real issue is whether it can be useful standing alone, or only as a part of a larger 'production-script' mode. That would include script-locking (and therefore colored revisions, added pages, change-tracking, page-headers) and ideally a bunch else (breakdowns and tagging for SFX, characters, props, make-up, maybe location grouping, etc etc etc).

The problem is that introducing it without at least script-locking can easily leave people with print-outs that have different scenes with the same number...
MisterMcAtCCA

Post by MisterMcAtCCA »

Not a big deal. I have started just adding a slug line before each scene header and typing in SCENE 1 (or whatever) before printing a copy. It takes a little extra time but since we only work on short productions it is only a few minutes.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I started wondering whether it might be useful as a print option, and that made me wonder if there are any other print-only features that might be useful (one which came to mind was starting each scene on a new page... though that could mess with page numbers I suppose)?
MisterMcAtCCA

Post by MisterMcAtCCA »

I think it would be a good idea. Celtx has both those options for printing. The reason I may have knowingly or possibly unknowingly started defaulting to referring to scene numbers may be because it was available and just seemed kind of natural. The 'start each scene on a new page' is very useful when the script has already been printed ( yes, the people/actors/crew that I work with still prefer a paper script) and a change needs to be made you can just reprint the individual scene instead of the whole screenplay.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, it's down on The List...

Any thoughts whether the original page numbers appear on the printout when scenes start a new page?

ie: Page 15 cont. ? Or perhaps Page 15 (B) ?
MisterMcAtCCA

Post by MisterMcAtCCA »

Referring to Celtx again (I hope that doesn't get tiresome) - Celtx just numbers the pages, regardless of their content. So, if the final printout is 20 pages the pages are simply numbered 1 through 20 (starting on the first page after the title page). The Scenes on the printout are numbered at the left and/or right margins (user selectable option) of the Scene header with just a simple digit(s). Example:
5 INT. OLD FACTORY - NIGHT 5
This seems logical and practical to me. I don't know how much trouble it is to implement. I used to program, a long time ago, but I am pretty ignorant of modern web and browser based techniques.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just to be clear, when starting each scene on a new page, the printed page numbers don't match the page numbers on screen? Either one seems confusing, just not sure which is the less confusing.
MisterMcAtCCA

Post by MisterMcAtCCA »

OK, I see your point. I don't think Celtx or any of the other screenplay formatters that I have used actually put page numbers on screen. In fact they don't format pages at all on screen. The pagination takes place when creating a PDF or printing (that is viewable on screen but is a separate function from the actual scrip editing). With YouMeScript being more of a WYSIWYG style I see where the approach is different. I can actually format for printout easy enough using page breaks. I suppose I have just been accustomed to that being a little more automated.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I'd definitely like to add the feature, it's just finding the implementation that feels right, ie produces the least amount of confusion.

Without script-locking, it's probably best to have a second user option when electing to start a new page for each scene: 'Maintain existing page numbers' or something. This would add 'A' ,'B' suffixes to pages which are split.

When script-locking arrives in YMS, it'll follow fairly standard behavior: once pages are locked, the numbers never change, so revised pages (in different colors) can be slotted in with unrevised pages, and any added pages get suffixes 'A', 'B' etc. Choosing to start scenes on new pages when printing a page-locked script, will likely mean a second suffix, maybe '(a)' etc. Yep, that'll mean we could have "Page 10B(a)"... we'll see.