Numbering scenes

MisterMcAtCCA

Re: Numbering scenes

Post by MisterMcAtCCA »

After working with YouMeScript as a classroom teaching tool for a few weeks now I am very pleased with the product. I have adapted to your more WYSIWYG style (versus other script writer programs) of handling printed output and am OK with it. It just took a little adaptation on my part. One thing that would be useful to me is the ability to export a script as an actual formatted Google Doc. That way, if I needed to do some customization for classroom/teaching purposes, I would just be working with another ordinary Google Doc.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I'm very glad it's working for you. The trouble with the export to Google Docs is the formatting limitations of Google Docs itself. When I originally wanted to create YMS, my plan was for a Docs script app, but quickly found it didn't offer nearly the functionality we needed.

Specifically, if you know, what sort of customization would you use Docs for? They may be on their way in YMS, especially if I knew what would be most helpful to people...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm also interested in what way YMS handles WYSIWYG printing differently from others? Do you NOT SWYG with the others?
ianginn

Post by ianginn »

Scene numbering is pretty essential for us writing treatments for series episodes (so early in development): I'm specifically looking for a way to include GD's collaborative commenting in our process.

Currently losing software scene numbers when cut/pasting from Fade In etc makes GD not usable.

I'd use YouMeScript immediately if you can provide scene numbers.
ianginn

Post by ianginn »

We use scene numbering when writing treatments for series episodes (so early in development).
I'm specifically looking for a way to include GD's collaborative commenting in our process, and YMS looks great *except* no scene numbering >.<

I'd use YouMeScript immediately if you can provide scene numbers whenever the user chooses to include them...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

inaginn, sorry for the delay answering. Yep, it's definitely on its way, and I think probably sooner rather than later.
ianginn

Post by ianginn »

Hi,

Picking up my question from April: Is there any chance that scene numbering will be added in the near future. It would increase usability and usefulness immensely.

There is a strong argument for providing scene numbering before script lock: Youmescript is developed for collaboration. Numbered scenes enable collaborating writers (for example in a writers room) to identify which scene we want to discuss. Once script lock has been reached it would be straightforward to include a 'DEF Scene Numbering' function, before the script passes to the director / onto breakdown.

Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very sorry for not replying quicker on this one, but I've been thinking about it and you are absolutely right. You've spurred action... I'm putting together specs for the "production mode", talking to AD's, production coordinators, etc trying to see what the first releasable version should have.

It makes sense to me to work forwards through the production steps, getting closer to the full workflow, eventually encompassing all of it. The only checks on this are twofold:
1) I want YouMeScript to do what it does, WELL (at the expense of feature-count if necessary)
2) Wherever possible, I'd like to go back to first principles, and ask "what is the desired result of this task?" and see if there might be better ways to accomplish that (there's a phrase I heard years ago that captures my thoughts on that: "When someone asks to buy a drill, remember that what they really want is holes.")

Please jump in with any thoughts you have on this.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Right! Scene-numbering is about to appear in a day or so.

It's the basic form, where scenes are just automatically numbered if that option is selected. There's a new shortcut (ctrl-shift-g / cmd-shift-g) to Go To Scene by number, and the numbers show up in the scenes list.

Without script-locking or other production-mode features, nothing involving letters or allowing the user to choose makes much sense yet, so nor does reading them on import. However, the scene-numbers do print, and export to PDF, fountain etc if they are showing at the time.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions what would make this immediately more useful?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Scene-numbering has arrived.

Let me know if there are any issues with the way it works for you. It doesn't currently import numbers, but instead automatically numbers. This should only matter, I believe, if a script in a different program is locked, and has lettered scenes, "68a" etc. Let me know if my thinking is wrong on this?